Having a plan to protect ourselves from the summer heat is important, as is knowing about the resources available to best prepare and keep ourselves, our families, and loved ones safe.
Drink water, stay cool, know the signs of heat stroke and heat exhaustion, and check in with vulnerable family, friends and neighbours.
We are working on bringing you a Coffee with Janet on this topic, please stay tuned.
For now, you can learn about the city’s cooling centres and ways to stay safe in the heat on the city’s website.
The City will open four Cooling Centres (open 10 am to 10 pm daily until the heat subsides) at:
- Cameron Community Centre (9523 Cameron St)
- Eileen Dailly Leisure Pool & Fitness Centre (240 Willingdon Ave)
- Bonsor Recreation Complex (6550 Bonsor Ave)
- Edmonds Community Centre (7433 Edmonds St)
If you choose to stay in your home, consider these tips to stay cool:
- Stay hydrated: drink plenty of water.
- Take a cool shower or bath, or fill a bucket with cold water to soak your feet in.
- Shut all doors and windows, and pull curtains to keep the sun out.
- Open windows in the evening if the temperatures cool down.
- Consider setting up fans in front of ice trays if air conditioning is not available in your home.